Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Car Update

It's been a week since the accident and I hadn't heard anything. First off, I had to contact the body shop last week to find out if they needed anything from us. The adjuster had already been there from the other guy's insurance company and they had his info, but never thought this was someone else's car! So I gave them my contact info and he said he'd let me know after he did the estimate. I talked with the same guy today and he apologized for no one contacting me -- he actually seemed surprised no one did, but I think he'd be the guy to contact me in the first place since he did the estimate and contacted the adjuster! So, anyway, the car is already torn down and the parts arrived today. The estimate is just shy of $4,000 and it will basically get a brand new front end -- bumper, grill, both headlights, moulding, upper tie bar, emblem, hood, fender -- and then painted and such. I'm assuming the radiator was busted since the fluid leaked all over, but he only mentioned body damage. The estimated completion date is next Monday the 28th.

On another note, I had to take a form to my insurance agent this morning (along with a copy of the crash report). This form had to be filled out and signed by my agent, then mailed to the Indianapolis Bureau of Vehicles within 10 days of the accident or my license would be suspended. Sound stupid? Yeah, I thought so too! None of this was my fault, yet I could face penalties and have to go out of my way to get this stupid form taken care of! Hopefully this will all be over soon...

2 comments:

Christan said...

Yeah, we had to fill out the same form for an accident in 2005. It was not our fault, but we still had to do stupid paperwork. Some things in Indiana are so backwards! I never had to do that in other states. (Hmm...please don't think the last statement means I am in accidents all the time!?!) Anyway, I wondered how it would work going through Risk Mgmt. I hope the car turns out in good shape when they are done. If not, be picky! I had my car re-painted from an accident in 2005 that was not my fault and the paint started chipping off in the same spot in 2007. Nice. Now I have to worry about rust, etc. So, since it is not your fault, be agressive and make sure it meets your expectations. Heck, I would say you have been more than patient with them so far! Good luck!

Nikki said...

It must be a fairly new thing in Indiana too. With our last accident (a hit-and-run in Ft Wayne, so we had to handle everything), we didn't have to fill out the form. That was before Carter was born, so at the latest 2003, maybe even before then. Risk Management is actually doing a good job -- they were out there the same day to take pics and get the ball rolling with the AutoPlex and worked hard to get us in a car the same day. The first person Matt talked with was a jerk, but he said once he started dealing with the adjuster it was great and he was really concerned and wanted to make things better. We've not had great service from the AutoPlex before, and didn't realize that's where Chrysler took their cars -- we used it for Ford before. They seemed to get it in there in a hurry though, I think because the adjuster was pushing it. We'll definitely make sure things are right, and complain if something is wrong.