Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Potty Training Day 4

Today was a great day!! He did poop this morning before we got him in underwear, but I was actually thankful for that. Still wish he would go in the potty, but at least it was easy clean-up. (He also had one dirty accident in the early afternoon that was not fun!) He was excited to put his underwear on and set the timer -- off we went!! He went every time his timer went off, with hardly any fighting to even go in the bathroom (like usual). I came up with a new game to try to get him out of the bathroom a little quicker, since I was the only one home today and had Lauren and Sam to watch as well. We'd pick a number for me to count to -- if I got to that number before Carter peed, I won; if he peed before I finished counting, he won. He loves games and counting and this worked perfectly!! He got so many stickers today that he already completed a potty chart. He picked a train video as his reward, and started his next chart (already has two on it!). I'm just glad today went as well as it did. I was insanely calm about everything today though. Things that normally tick me off or make me have to calm myself down so I don't erupt just didn't do it to me today. I also think that Carter getting more attention throughout the day helps too. He already tried to rebel, knows we won't back down, and is liking the little games, getting stickers, etc. I hope that this continues day-to-day, and gets to where I don't need to set the timer. I also hope he soon realizes when he has to poop and will go in the potty!! Once he gets the hang of this we'll keep underwear on him at night -- he was staying dry overnight, we'll just have to get him into the habit of going to the bathroom first thing in the morning. I'll keep you posted on progress!

1 comment:

Christan said...

You are coming up with some really creative ideas. I'll have to remember these if/when we have kids someday. It sounds like Carter is really picking up on going on his own, so I hope the rest of the week continues to go well! I remember my mom telling me it was hard to train me (the first kid), but my younger brother used the potty without problems because he saw me going on my own and she said I bullied him into his big boy underwear. So, I hope Lauren is easier a few years down the road. :)