Sunday, January 20, 2008

Potty Training Day 2

So... today didn't go well at all. I think he actually went in the potty maybe two-three times when we took him. He just kept going in his pants!! One time I think he was looking for me and peed when he couldn't find me (but Matt was in the office, where he went to look for me). Most the others seemed a little more accidental, but after one of them he asked for a pull-up (which I don't want to use because it's just like a thin diaper -- we've tried those with no success). One seemed very deliberate -- he went in our room and peed behind the door (he always tells us where he pees so we can clean it up). It was soon after he had asked for the pull-up, and to go behind a door? I don't know for sure, but I do know that Carter just doesn't want to do it. I think we got a little more frustrated with him and pushed him a little harder today, and he didn't like it. Again with this power struggle! Twice, though, we asked him if he had to go and he said no -- ten seconds later he went in his pants both times!! The timer was pretty much ineffective today, but we'll continue to use it as a reminder to at least the parents.

I did have some success this evening when we went in after the timer beeped. Since he hadn't gone very often when we took him in during the day, I wanted to give him a little more incentive or make it a little more fun. So I took Cheerios in with me and put a few of them in the toilet. I told Carter to aim his pee and hit them (he was standing up like Daddy this time). He started giggling when I dropped the first one in, and immediately started trying harder to pee in the toilet! He did go, and hit two of the Cheerios! So I'm keeping a cup of them on the bathroom counter (so guests, it's not a snack in there for you!) so we can play this game more often.

Hopefully we'll meet with more success tomorrow, and I can continue this throughout the week without Matt and while watching Sam. I don't want to buy any more "baby diapers" for my 3.5 year old!!

No comments: