Thursday, January 24, 2008

Potty Training Day 6

Today was a 7-sticker day, accident free!! :D (Okay, so technically it was accident-free, but he did poop in his diaper before he changed into his underwear.) Carter didn't fight me at all today -- the timer would go off and he'd go follow me into the bathroom to go. We didn't have to count, he went almost immediately! I think now he's finally realizing that he goes, he's done, he can get back to playing! This afternoon I had put Sam down for his nap and was in the process of getting Lauren down for her nap (so I was nursing her in her room with the doors shut) when I heard the timer go off. Normally if I'm not near Carter to say something, he'd just shut the timer off and start it going again -- he tells me he has to wait for it to beep again. I was prepared to fight with him a little when I got done with Lauren, but surprisingly I heard him walk to the bathroom, then the toilet flush, then the sink on washing his hands -- HE DID IT ALL BY HIMSELF!!! :D I came out and asked him if he went potty and he excitedly said yes. The next time the timer went off I started to get up, but Carter looked at me and said, "No, I'm going to do it myself." I couldn't have been happier or more proud!

Tomorrow I'm going to change the timer to go off every hour and fifteen minutes (adding the fifteen minutes) since it seems he's holding it better now. There were only a couple times today that he peed quite a bit too. My goal is to eventually have the timer going off pretty far apart, so he can learn to go in with his own cues. I'm so excited, and hope this continues!!

Oh, and I got a little advice on helping him poop on the potty (thanks, Aunt Roi and Cindy!) so we might try that out this weekend. I think I need Matt home for reinforcements! :) I'll fill everyone in on that when it happens...

No comments: